MHA has a team of professionals that are highly qualified in various aspects of corporate finance having gained experience whilst working on the restructuring of SOCs, the corporate sector and telecommunications.
Key Corporate Finance Projects we have been involved in are:
- Advising the Department of Housing on the establishment of the Rental Housing Development Corporation, which was to raise money for the development of rental housing stock through the issuance of a debenture bond on the market through a private placement.
- Advising the Public Investment Corporation (PIC) on the sale of 10% of its shareholding in Telkom to a BEE Grouping, the Elephant Consortium, which transaction was then valued at R5.2 billion.
- Advising a BEE group in the acquisition of all the shares held by Adcorp Limited in a printing and publications business. These agreements included a share sale agreement, preference share agreement and shareholders agreement.
- Advising a BEE group in the acquisition of a controlling stake in Holcim SA (now Afrisam) for an estimated value of R14bn. This transaction involved conducting a due diligence investigation, drafting and negotiating the sale of shares agreement and establishing and structuring community trusts.
- Advising a BEE group in the acquisition of a minority interest in Alcatel South Africa. The agreements included a share subscription agreement, preference shares agreement and services agreements.
- Advising Chancellor House in the acquisition of the entire shareholding of X-trata in Maloma Coal Mine, Swaziland. This included undertaking a due diligence exercise and negotiation of a suite of agreements including a share sale agreement and marketing agreements.
- Advising a BEE Group in the acquisition of a substantial coal mine with an estimated value of R800m from BHP Coal Energy South Africa (Pty) Ltd. These agreements included a sale of prospecting right agreement, pledge and cession agreement, various guarantee undertakings and support agreements, shareholders agreement, share sale agreement and a mutual cooperation agreement.
- Advising the Public Investment Corporation (PIC) when it sold 10% shares it held in Telkom SA Limited to the Elephant Consortium. The transaction entailed negotiating and drafting the funding agreements between PIC and the Elephant Consortium, negotiating and putting the security agreements in place.
- Advised Rio Tinto on the sale of over 70 prospecting rights to Coal of Africa. This transaction included negotiating and drafting the sale and purchase agreement, dealing with legal questions posed by bidders, advising on competition filing and drafting an application for ministerial consent in terms of section 11 of the MPRDA.
- Advised Akanani Consortium in the sale of its R800 million stake in Akanani Mining to Incwala. This transaction involved, inter alia, drafting of the sale and purchase agreement, drafting of the competition commission filing and drafting an application for ministerial consent in terms of section 11 of the MPRDA.
- Advised Akanani Investment Corporation (Pty) Ltd in the acquisition of warrants in AfriOre, a Canadian company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange. This transaction involved, inter alia, the warrants sale and subscription agreements, the review of AfriOre’s founding documents and conducting of a high level due diligence investigation.